The federal government passed a law providing financial help due to the disruption from the COVID-19 crisis (CARES Act). There are $1,200 payments available to help provide some financial assistance to most Americans.
Can I get the Stimulus (Economic Impact) Payment?
Yes, you can!
- If you do not get any benefits or help from the government you can still get the stimulus check. If you are a single individual you should get up to $1,200. Those with children may qualify for more.
- If you do not file taxes because you make no or very little money (under $12,200 per year), you can provide your information to the IRS and receive the federal stimulus money. Most will get the $1,200.
- If you have a bank account and can provide your banking account number and routing number to the IRS, you will get your money sooner. Click here to open a non-predatory bank account. If you need help you can call BTHC staffer, Michael at 617-918-5279
You need to do this online. The IRS has set up a special electronic entry (a portal) where you can submit your information and you will get your check within a few weeks. Go to IRS web portal for Non-Filers. Go to the link and fill in the questions the IRS asks. It should not take long.
If this is confusing and you need help, call the Boston Tax Help Coalition (BTHC). We have volunteers ready to answer your questions and help guide you through the process.
Stimulus Hotline: Call (781) 399-5330 from 2 PM–5 PM Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays for help and you will be connected with a volunteer from BTHC who can walk you through the process. It should only take a few minutes. If a volunteer is not available, please leave a voicemail, and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
If you need assistance in a language that is not English or Spanish, we will find an interpreter but it may take a little longer. Please be patient while we try to assist you.
What will I need to complete the IRS questions?
- A computer or smartphone to get through the “portal”
- Name and email address
- Your social security number
- Current address
- A bank account number and routing number (optional)
For more information on the Stimulus (Economic Impact) Payment click here.